New Zealand's self-proclaimed adventure capital is picturesque enough, especially if you like packed streets, dense motels and highly organized paid recreation activities. But forget about finding great beer.
- The best craft beer bar in town recently closed down.
- The big pub is a Monteith's house (like Granville Island's regular offerings - owned by DB).
- The other pub of note is an Emerson's house (a step up from Monteiths, but recently purchased by Lion), and the servers (ours was from Toronto) were of standard ski hill quality - worse than useless.
- The homebrew shop in town is poorly stocked and is entirely focused on allowing teenage ski lifties to get drunk for cheap.
- The brewery and tasting room in nearby Arrowtown have also closed down.